Saturday, July 3, 2010

Last couple weeks

Hello!

The last couple weeks have been a bit busy. I had to travel to Nairobi for a team meeting. We had to make some decisions about how to get our office things in Nairobi done for the future. Our business administrator and his family are not returning to Kenya because of fund raising problems. It is always hard for administrators to raise money because people have a hard time seeing how that is mission work. However, I really appreciate those who have filled this role for me. It allows me to spend much more time in Turkana. I don't have to be in Nairobi to file for my work permit, or turn in forms explaining what I am doing here in Kenya and a myriad of other things that take so much time away from my being in Turkana.

So, we had to meet in order to figure out how to get these administrative things done without each of us having to take turns working in Nairobi. I think we have a good solution for now and hope that it will work for the long term. After that meeting, I had to go to a government building to get fingerprinted. I have to do this every two years to get my work permit renewed. This is for my "alien registration" card. You have to reapply for this every time your work permit expires. So, every two years I have to come to Nairobi and do this. Then I spent a couple days doing some grocery shopping and restocking for July and August in Turkana.

This week I have been in Eldoret. It is in the highlands of Kenya and about half-way between Lodwar and Nairobi. Our team splits the rent on a house here so we have a place to stay when we travel between the two places. I spent the week running errands, paying bills, getting dogs vaccinated at the vet and preparing fresh vegetables to be frozen so I can have some veggies in Turkana besides onions, cabbage, potatoes and tomatoes. My list of things to do was very long, but I have finished almost everything. I am looking forward to a little rest tomorrow before I have to head home to Lodwar on Monday. Pray for my trip as the road is long and horrid!

No comments:

Post a Comment