|Boys proud of their work!|
|spreading the branches|
|putting on the garland|
After we finished with the tree, I decided to try again with a simple nativity set for them to make. The card stock/ clothes pin one didn't work very well, so I tried something different. This time I bought a broom handle (stick). I had a friend cut it into 4 inch and 3 inch lengths. I spent an hour or so in town trying to find some yarn. No one knew what the english word "yarn" meant. I finally saw someone with a sweater on (in the desert) and pointed to it and said it is string that is used to make those. Then they figured out what I wanted and told me where to find it. Brown yarn was needed for hair. I had some colorful push pins that I used as well. This is what we ended up with.
I am still working on the baby Jesus. The kids will all come back this Thursday for a little Christmas party. My friend, John Kibet, helped me to cut the broom handle on a table saw. This insured that they would sit straight. My thumb is still sore four days later from pushing the pins in! That wood is hard! The boys didn't have the strength to get them in, so I had to do all eight.
John is going to help me come up with an idea for the Jesus too. We hope to have something they can easily make and that will keep fairly well. I will try to get a picture of one full set once it is made and post it for you to see. I got the idea from another blog and adapted it to work with what I could find here. If you want to do something similar and don't live in a remote place like me, I think you can find everything you need to do them the way they suggest on this blog. So, check it out if you want to. http://learning-to-b-me.blogspot.com/2010/08/flags-and-more-wood.html Scroll down past the two flags until you see the little nativity set.
I hope you have enjoyed seeing the boys and what they accomplished. I think we all had fun and it gave them something to do during their month long break. I hope you are finding time to enjoy the season and are not feeling too rushed!