Friday, August 22, 2008

ESL and grammar

Hello All!
I am currently engaged in a very challenging endeavor.  I am trying to learn how to teach English to speakers of foreign languages.  I think this will be a wonderful ability to bring back to the Turkana church.  So, I am gamely making my way through the theory, methods, and materials used to teach English.  The most challenging aspect is teaching grammar, because I do not like it.  Since I don't like it, I don't really want to teach it.  I do see the value of it though, so I will plug away at it and hope that I get it and can teach it well. 
I am taking an intense class in Seattle through the University of Seattle and the School of TESOL.  We are covering four semester long classes in four weeks.  As you can imagine, I am not getting a lot of sleep.  I have not been able to even do any sight-seeing.  I go to class at 9 in the morning, get home at 3:30 or so and do homework there until about 10:30 or 11.  I am becoming very familiar with the walls of the classroom, and my rented bedroom :).  
I am at the end of the second week.  My grammar teaching point is due on Monday.  So, pray for me that I get it and that I can teach in a fun and informative manner.  If it is fun then my students will not have the same attitude as I do about grammar!  Any suggestions you teachers or students (of life or long-gone school days) want to give would be greatly appreciated!
I hope to resurface again to write a bit more in a week or so!

No comments:

Post a Comment