Monday, July 20, 2009

Vacation

Hello!
      I am on vacation this week.  I have come to the beautiful coast of Kenya for a few days of rest, relaxation and reflection.  I came on Friday and have been enjoying the view of the ocean.  It has been rainy and cold, so there hasn't been a lot of swimming, but there has been plenty of rest.  So, I cannot complain too much :).
      There is a retreat that started today for all Christian church/ church of Christ missionaries in Africa.  So, we have gathered together to chat about our work, share resources and ideas, pray together, and relax together.  I have gotten to see an old friend from my college days.  Tammy and her husband, Brad, are missionaries in Tanzania with Pioneer Bible Translators.  So, it will be nice to catch up with her and to meet some new folks.
      I have also had an opportunity to use the internet a bit more here.  That means I have been looking for some resources for helping with my next ESL class.  I want to begin bringing in more Bible verses to the lesson and am looking for some free resources to help with that.  So, if anyone has ideas, be sure to let me know!  I will teach the next class towards the end of August.  There are some words and concepts that will be completely new to the Turkana.  They have never seen elevators or apartment buildings.  They don't have kitchen sinks nor do they have plumbing.  The unit is on typical homes but there are no huts.  So, I will have to expand the lesson a bit and try to help them understand some of these things without being able to show them.  So, keep that in your prayers as I try to find things that will be similar and help them to imagine what they have never seen.  I can bring them to my house and show them some things.  So, we will probably do a field trip there one day.
      I will keep you updated on my progress!  Blessings to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment