Sunday, January 23, 2011

The end of the year 2010

Okay, I know you are wondering what happened to me.  So, here it is.  I got behind in blogging and then I felt like I had too much to say.  So, I will try to fill you in shortly and sweetly on what happened while I was home in the States.

Since last writing, I visited with friends from Blue Springs, MO.  It was a fun filled evening and I wish it could have been longer.  I just spent time updating folks on what is going on here in Kenya and didn't have time to really catch up with them on what they were doing.  I guess I will have to do that in 2012 when I go for furlough.

The next night I spent with a group of folks I call my "Indy gang."  That was so much fun!  It is always good to just be in the presence of old friends who knew you "when."  We had a great time just chatting, getting a little caught up and remembering old times.  By this time my parents and I were in Indianapolis and spending time with my brother and niece as well.  It was so good to be able to spend some quality and quantity time with them!

Family, fun, cards and friendly family jokes were part of the next weekend with my extended family.  We traveled to Michigan to see my Dad's three brothers and many of their kids as well as cousins from my Grandma's sister.  It was a great weekend and I wish it could have lasted longer, but it was something to cherish.  I was given an assignment by my uncles, but I haven't started on it yet so they will have to be patient :).

I spent Christmas and Boxing Day back in Indianapolis with my family.  It was even a white Christmas as it snowed on Christmas Eve and Christmas day a little bit.  It was so nice to be wrapped in the love of family and to cherish it as something special.  I think living away from family makes the times we get to spend with them that much sweeter!

Then it was back to Colorado to get ready to return to Kenya.  I had 2 Sundays left out there.  I spent January 2nd with my church family at Green Mountain Christian Church.  It was good to see old friends there.  The next weekend I spent with my church family in Colorado Springs at Academy Christian Church.  It was a wonderful weekend spent with friends.  Many of them even sat through a showing of multiple pictures from Turkana.  I admire their tenacity and enthusiasm :).

After that visit to Colorado Springs I got to drive home in a snow storm.  I might not have called it that before I moved to the desert, but I do now.  The roads were slick and in a couple of places the wind was blowing the snow so hard I couldn't see much in front of me.  Even so, I made it home safely and completed the process of packing and weighing bags for my return on Tuesday, January 11th.

So, that is a short synopsis of my holidays.  I had a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  I hope the same is true for you!  I even got to see snow and play in it a little bit.  Even though my driving skills in snow and ice have been a bit forgotten, I still love it.  I will try to add a little more later this week on some impressions while in the States.

In the meantime, I am happy to be "home" in Turkana and preparing for my next English class.  We are talking about "the fall" this week in our movie of the Bible.  I am trying to come up with discussion topics that beginning English students could talk about.  I asked for suggestions on Facebook and would be glad for any here as well :).  Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment