Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Enjoying some African ingenuity

Hello!

Today as I was enjoying chai time with my students, we happened to see a very unusual sight.  There was a wheelbarrow missing its legs.  It was attached to the back of a motorcycle somehow.  That motorcycle was moving along at a pretty good pace on the sand road near our school.  A wheelbarrow as a tailer - who would have ever thought of that?  Someone who had the former and needed the latter I guess :).

My students are learning about sentences this week - among other things.  We played a game where one student came up with a subject and tossed a ball to another student who had to come up with the verb and the rest of the sentence.  It took a while for them to get going and really catch on to what they were supposed to do.  One of the students was given the ball with the subject "women."  He quickly responded "are good for cooking food."  He and the rest of the class burst out laughing and another added, "and washing clothes."  I was a bit appalled, but also happy because they actually made a good sentence.  Well, I did tell them they could use any subject and any verb as long as they made a grammatically correct sentence.  So, I guess I can't complain too much.

Just a few fun things from my week.  How is yours going?

No comments:

Post a Comment