Sunday, April 10, 2011

Birthday Bash!

Hello!
I told folks on Facebook about my birthday bash, but thought I would share it here as well.  I made a lunch for my workers and friends.  It was a Mexican style lunch, but I improvised a little.  I made some corn bread and cut large slices of it as the base.  Then I cooked up four pounds of meat (they like meat!), with some onions, tomatoes, beans and corn and added in some taco seasoning along with a bit of chili powder. I poured this slightly soupy "concoction" over the corn bread and viola - we had lunch!  :).  It was pretty tasty even if I do say so myself.  I also baked a cake.  That was a little disappointing as it didn't rise like a cake should.  It must have been an old mix.  Even so, it tasted pretty good.  I made the cake into a two layer cake just to make it look a little more normal.











The best part of the day was that I was given a present by my guards.  Giving presents in Turkana is not a real common thing - especially for birthdays.  They don't know the actual day they were born.  Many of them can only guess at the year.  So, celebrating birthdays is a very foreign thing to them.  Even so, one of my guards decided that they should give me a present.  So, after the lunch bash, he went to town and came back with a necklace and earrings and gave them to me.  This really is a case of it being the thought that counts and I still get a huge smile on my face when I think of it!

All in all, I had a great birthday.  I was overwhelmed at the number of birthday greetings I received by e-mail and Facebook.  I must say that getting another year older does have its advantages sometimes :).  If you want to see more pictures from my birthday bash, you can find them on my Facebook page.  I hope you have had a good week as well!  Blessings from one who feels truly blessed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment