Saturday, May 14, 2011

Literacy and ESL updates

Hello!

Last month I held a three day literacy testing seminar.  This was to help the people who give the literacy tests do a better job.  I didn't write about it because I had other things I wanted to post.  So, I just wanted to let you know that it happened.  These literacy tests are really subjective.  The testers have to ask themselves, is the person reading well enough to pass or should they go back and review a bit more.  It is hard for a Turkana to tell another Turkana that they have not passed.  So, I did a lot of encouraging.  It was a good seminar and I think they went away with better skills for giving the literacy tests.

This week I had my twenty first week long English class.  As I posted earlier I only had 5 students come.  On Wednesday I had two more come so our total was up to 7 out of a possible 11 students.  Even though we were small, the students and I had fun learning new words to tell the story of Joseph and Moses (up to the dividing of the Red Sea).  We discussed how God can use bad situations and turn them into ways to bless the person and others around him or her.  We also talked about how some people can see amazing miracles and yet still not believe in God.  They see this here and wanted to give me examples.  It was good to hear them trying to express themselves in English.  We went back and forth between Turkana and English, but they were getting a lot of English out in the process.

So, that is what I have been up to this week.  What about you?  Next week I will be teaching in our Bible training institute.  So, I am studying up on the Wisdom literature from the Old Testament.  We will cover Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes and the Song of Solomon.  It should be a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment