Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Book, a quote and thoughts on life

While shopping in Nairobi this last week, I stopped in a bookstore.  If you know me at all, you know I love books.  So, I wandered the aisles just looking to see what was new and what looked interesting.  I found a book in the kids section that I remember reading when I was in grade school.  It made an impression on me because I remember reading it.  I remember thinking it was a great book.

Well, I had a bit of a nostalgic moment right there in the bookstore and decided to get it and maybe share it with "my Turkana kids."  I needed to read it again (just for fun and) to see if my kids would understand it.  I think it will be a little hard for them, but I do think they will enjoy it.

I found this great quote that makes reading the book again after all these years so worth it.  Here it is.

  "But you should also have days when you allow what is already in you to swell up inside of you until it touches everything.  And you can feel it inside you.  If you never take time out to let that happen, then you just accumulate facts, and they begin to rattle around inside of you.  You can make noise with them, but never really feel anything with them.  It's hollow." 

Our everyday lives can get very busy.  We get caught up in the doing and forget about the being.  When I do this for very long, I do begin to feel empty.  I have all the facts and I am getting things done, but I still feel disconnected in some way.  I get so busy doing all the things that need to get done.  I check one thing off my list and two more take its place.   

I need - not should, but need - to take time to reflect and pray about what is going on in my life.  I even need to take time to let my Faith and all it means to me fill me up until I can feel it inside me when I begin to get that disconnected feeling.  I need to take all the facts and events in my life and reflect on them.  I need reflect on God's Word and how it is making me into the person that I am each day.  I need to do this so I don't feel hollow or burnt out or whatever else you might want to call it.  

Am I doing this?  Are you?  Most days I do spend time in God's Word and pray about the day.  But, there are days when I get to thinking I need to cut this short 'cause there is so much to do.  If I don't, I'll feel guilty about the time spent here.  Do you think this way sometimes too?  I think it is good to be reminded that this reflecting on the facts, on our faith, on our day, and on His Word -  this is what we need to do.  The other things on our lists will get done and probably be done even better if we will take the time to do this.  Otherwise, we will make a lot of noise - like a trumpet or a cymbal - but we won't be full.  We won't BE.

I just wanted to share this quote and this thought with you.  I thought it was a good reminder.  If you are curious about the book, it is called From The Mixed-Up Files Of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.  You can find it online here: 

Any thoughts from you?  I love comments!  :).  Have a great week and remember to take the time to let all of life fill you up until you feel it so you don't walk around making a bunch of hollow noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment